Skip links and keyboard navigation

Multimedia walking content

Infographics

We encourage you to share these infographics on social media and your own websites. This selection of infographics is taken from the Queensland Walking Strategy 2019–2029 and the Walking in Queensland Report 2019

When using these infographics please credit Department of Transport and Main Roads, Queensland Walking Strategy and link to www.tmr.qld.gov.au/walking.

Queensland Walking Strategy infographics

Access for all

Infographic showing that 1 in 20 Queenslanders have a disability

One in 20 Queenslanders have a disability. 

Benefits of walking

An infographic displaying the benefits of walking 

This infographic lists a number of walking benefits. 

 

Monetary benefits of walking

An infographic on the savings generated from walking

On average, every $1 in walking interventions returns almost $13 in benefits with decongestion, health and environment.

 

Queenslanders over 65

An infographic showing that the number of Queenslanders over 65 is expected to grow by 1 million people over the next 30 years

The number of Queenslanders over 65 years old is expected to grow by 1 million over the next 30 years. 

 

Sustainable transport hierarchy

An infographic showing the sustainable transport hierarchy, which includes walking, riding a bike, public transport, freight and taxi, and private vehicles

This infographic shows the hierarchy of sustainable transport options. From most to least sustainable:

  • walking
  • riding a bike
  • public transport
  • freight and taxi
  • private vehicle.

Encouraging Queenslanders to walk more

Infographic showing what would encourage Queenslanders to walk more, including more information on where to walk, events to encourage walking,

Queenslanders would be encouraged to walk more by:

  • more respect between car drivers and people on foot
  • more information on where to walk (maps, apps and signage)
  • more support for events to encourage walking
  • more promotion of walking as an everyday activity for transport
  • programs in schools to encourage children to walk to/from school

Distances up to 1km

Infographic showing that distances of 1km are ideal for walking and 39% of all journeys in South East Queensland under 1km are made by private vehicle

Distances up to 1km are ideal for walking. 39% of all journeys in South East Queensland under 1km are made by private vehicle. 

Walking in Queensland infographics

Walking benefits our economy

This infographic shows that 1000 pedestrians a day using a pathway will result in benefits of around $8 million over a 30 year period

Over 1000 pedestrians per day using a pathway will result in benefits of around $8 million over a 30 year period. 

Cost-benefit ratios for selected infrastructure projects

This infographic shows the cost/benefit ratio for several road and bikeway projects.

  • The Cairns Brinsmead-Redlynch Connector Path has a benefit of $12.10 for every dollar spent, and 58% of the users are pedestrians
  • The Galeen-Honeyeater Bridge has a benefit of $4.20 for every dollar spent, and 40% of users are pedestrians
  • The Kedron Brook Bikeway has a benefit of $3.30 for every dollar spent, and 44% of users are pedestrians.  

Pedestrian road fatalities

This infographic shows that pedestrians account for 14% of road fatalities in Queensland and that there has been a 32% increase in pedestrian fatalities in 2018 compared to 5 years earlier

Pedestrians account for 14% of road fatalities in Queensland. 

There was a 32% increase in pedestrian fatalities in 2018 compared to 5 years prior.

Comfortable walking distance

Infographic of survey results where respondents agreed or disagreed that they lived in walking distance of green spaces, public transport, cafes or restaurants, and other places.

This infographic includes a graph of responses from people on whether they live within comfortable walking distance of facilities such as:

  • greenspaces
  • public transport
  • cafes or restaurants
  • shops with fresh vegetables/groceries
  • sport facilities
  • educational facilities
  • work.

Personal barriers to walking

An infographic showing personal barriers to walking, including climate, preferring to use other transport methods, not having enough time, physical or mental health conditions, relying on car before, during or after work, and not feeling safe walking by themselves.

This infographic includes respondents' personal barriers to walking, including:

  • climate not suitable (29%)
  • prefer to use other transport methods, such as train, bus, bike, car (23%)
  • not enough time (20%)
  • physical or mental conditions that prevent them from walking (19%)
  • relying on their car before, during or after work (12%)
  • not feeling safe walking by themselves (6%)

Proportion of journeys to work by walking

This map shows the proportion of journeys to work by walking in major Queensland cities

This infographic shows a map of the state of Queensland with the percentage of journeys to work that are done by walking. 

Reasons Queenslanders walk

This infographic shows reasons why Queenslanders walk, including recreation and exercise, as part of a journey, to get to the shops, exercising their dogs, walking to public transport, getting their children to school, and getting to work.

This infograph shows reasons Queenslanders gave for walking, including:

  • for recreation and exercise (70%)
  • as part of a journey (38%)
  • to get to the shops (35%)
  • to exercise their dog (28%)
  • to get to public transport (19%)
  • to walk children to school (6%)
  • to walk to work (5%)

Risk of pedestrian death as a function of vehicle impact speed

This infographic shows that the risk of pedestrian death increases as a function of vehicle impact speed. There's a 20% change of death if the vehicle is going 40km/hr, 80% chance if the vehicle is going 50km/h and 100% chance if the vehicle is going 60km/h

This infographic shows the risk of death as a function of vehicle impact speed. There is a 20% chance of death if the vehicle impacts a pedestrian at 40km/h, 80% if the vehicle is travelling at 50 km/h, and 100% if it's travelling at 60km/h. 

Proportion of students (aged 5–18) that walk to school (Greater Brisbane 1975–2017)

This infographic shows that the proportion of students that walk to school has decreased from 33% in 1975 to 14% in 2017

This infographic shows the percentage of students that walk to school in Greater Brisbane. In 1975 33% of students walked, while in 2017 this had reduced to 14%. 

What motivates Queenslanders to walk?

Infographic on what motivates Queenslanders to walk, including physical health, getting somewhere, spending time outdoors, improving mental health, finding it relaxing or enjoyable, walking their dog, being a good social activity, and being convenient.

This infographic lists the reasons that Queenslanders are motivated to walk:

  • It is good for my physical health (68%)
  • To get somewhere (43%)
  • I like spending time outdoors (36%)
  • It's good for my mental health (31%)
  • I find it relaxing/enjoyable (29%)
  • I like to exercise my dog (22%)
  • It is good social activity (13%)
  • It is convenient (10%)

What would encourage Queenslanders to walk more?

Infographic showing what would encourage Queenslanders to walk more, including smooth and even-surfaced paths, more seating and places to stop and rest, more connected paths, more shade along routes, greater separation from traffic, more walking trails in natural areas near home

An infographic showing things that would encourage Queenslanders to walk more, including greater separation from traffic and safer road crossings.

Queenslanders said that the following things would encourage them to walk more:

  • smooth and even-surfaced paths (24%)
  • more seating and places to stop for rest (19%)
  • more connected paths (15%)
  • more shade along routes (13%)
  • greater separation from traffic (11%)
  • safer road crossings (11%)
  • more walking trails in natural areas near home (10%)

Videos

The walk I do most often

Show/hide transcript

I would walk more if

Show/hide transcript

Future of walking

Show/hide transcript

Last updated
12 December 2019